Most Popular Articles

  • Ethiopia issues unfamiliar investor warning over war and famine

    The document, seen by the Financial Times, is a sobering reminder of the risk of investing in one of Africa’s less developed nations. With gross domestic product per capita at less than $550 per year, Ethiopia is the poorest country yet to issue global bonds.

    In the 108-page prospectus, issued ahead of its expected $1bn bond, Ethiopia tells investors they need to consider the potential resumption of the Eritrea-Ethiopia war, which ended in 2000, although it “does not anticipate future conflict”.

    There is also the risk of famine, the “high level of poverty” and strained public finances, as well as the possible, if unlikely, blocking of the country’s only access to the sea through neighbouring Djibouti should relations between the two countries sour.

    Read more »
  • ISIS chief Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi dead: Radio Iran


    NEW DELHI: The enigmatic chief of Islamic State jihadist group Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is dead, Radio Iran has reported on Monday.

    Earlier, a Guardian report quoting sources with inside knowledge of the group reported that al-Baghdadi was severely injured in a US-led coalition air strike in March.

    According to that report, al-Baghdadi was inujred at al-Baaj district of Nineveh, close to the Syrian border. It also said he was making a slow recovery and was out of his day-to-day control of the jihadist group.

    Read More at Times of India


    Read more »
  • Cow Leads Police On Wild Chase After Escaping From Idaho Butcher Shop

    A cow being prepared for slaughter refused to go down without a fight as it escaped from a butcher shop and led police on a wild chase through neighborhood streets.

    The 1,000 pound cow was on the chopping block at Anderson Custom Pack, a meat processing company in Pocatello, Idaho. Authorities say the cow jumped a six foot fence and the chase was on.

    Read more »
  • Man Plans To Have Coffee With Each Of His 1,000 Facebook Friends

    In this day and age, we are more apt to strike up a conversation with someone we don’t know personally through social media than we are with the person sitting next to us on the bus or the subway. Australian student Matt Kulesza Wants to rekindle good old fashioned face time with real, live human being. So he is taking the next 3 years to meet and have coffee with each and every one of his 1,000 friends on Facebook.

    Read more »
  • Man killed after his random act of kindness


    Their only encounter was brief, about five minutes in a grocery store on Nov. 10. But what happened in those moments, and the tragedy that followed, put the Carlsbad woman on a quest to honor the 28-year-old whose kindness left a deep impression.

    “It is beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time,” she said Wednesday. “We are trying to turn something sad into something really good.”

    The late evening trip to Trader Joe’s in Oceanside had been stressful for Knighten, her fussy 5-month-old in tow as she navigated a market she had not been to before. The trip to the register was worse: A $200 tab, her debit card at home, her credit card declined thanks to an anti-fraud lock, and, of course, a crying baby.

    Knighten began fumbling for her phone to call the bank, as a long line stretched behind her, when a young man stepped up and asked if he could cover the cost. She first refused, but he asked again. Knighten said when she looked into his eyes, she realized that he truly wanted to help.

    Matthew Jackson, 28, was killed in a car accident in Oceanside on Nov. 11.
    +Read Caption
    “It just felt like this huge hug, this great big bear hug,” the married mother of two said.

    The man said he wanted nothing in return, he simply wanted her to do the same for someone else.

    She agreed, but asked his name and where he worked, thinking that somehow she still wanted to acknowledge his selfless act.

    So more than a week later, when she finally had a moment, Knighten called Jackson’s boss at LA Fitness, to say how kind he had been, and perhaps bring him a gift.

    The gym manager began crying, Knighten said. Days earlier, Jackson had died in a car accident — his Ford Fiesta struck a tree along a shopping complex at the end of West Vista Way, not far from the store where Knighten met him. Two passengers in the car were hurt, but have since been released from the hospital.

    The crash happened less than 24 hours after Jackson had paid her grocery bill.

    After a sleepness night, Knighten took to Facebook: “I still cannot believe it. I thought for sure I would get the chance to see him again, give him a hug and thank him at least once more in person. Now I won't get that chance, but more importantly no one else will get the chance to meet him. And that breaks my heart.”

    The response from friends and family to her Nov. 20 post, she said, “was incredible. People saying they were going to pay it forward in Scotland, in Wisconsin, in Australia. Overwhelming. It was overwhelming.”

    As a fitness trainer, Jackson didn’t make much, and $200 was a lot of money to lay out for a stranger. But his mother, LeeAnn Krymow, said Wednesday that such kindness defined her son.

    She remembers one day under a sweltering desert sun — Jackson grew up in Phoenix — when mother and son stopped to get cold bottled water. At a stop light a block later, he suddenly jumped out of the car, ran over to a panhandler and handed his unopened bottle to the stranger.

    “I knew my boy was like this,” Krymow said. “He loved to be kind. He was just a really special kid. So cute, so intelligent, so talented, an accomplished musician. You wonder why these things happen.”

    She said he had attended Liberty University in Virginia, and later moved to San Diego County to be with his longtime girlfriend, whom he planned to marry.

    Knighten, who is from Canada and had recently returned to North County after a lengthy visit home, said she hopes to spread the word of what she calls “Matthew’s legacy.” She has started a Facebook page and Twitter account under just that name: “Matthews legacy.”

    Krymow said she is touched to know that her son will be remembered for his good works.

    “There has got to be some good to come of this,” she said. “He would be happy to know that other people are learning from his example.”

    There’s a postscript to this story: Jackson’s sister and brother-in-law, who is a youth pastor, drove out to Carlsbad from their home in the Phoenix suburb of Gilbert, to attend the memorial service. Along the way, they stopped with their four young kids for a meal in Yuma. When they went to pay the bill, they got a surprise: someone had already paid their bill.

    It was a random act of kindness from a stranger.

    Source: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/nov/25/tragedy-follows-kind-act/

    Read more »
  • Ethiopians protested IS killings in mass rally

    Angry Ethiopians have demonstrated today in Addis Ababa to condemn the IS killings and call for a more prompt government action. The move came as parliament weighed a response to the killings.

    Hundreds of protesters departed from the homes of two of the victims and tried to reach Meskel Square on Tuesday but police blocked them. They also tried to go to the Parliament but were blocked again.

    Read more »
  • Haile Gebrselassie has announced his retirement from competitive running.

    The 42-year-old Ethiopian confirmed his decision after finishing 16th in the Great Manchester Run on Sunday.

    It brings to an end a 25-year career in which he claimed two Olympic gold medals, eight World Championship victories and set 27 world records.

    "I'm retiring from competitive running, not from running. You cannot stop running, this is my life," he told BBC Sport.

    Gebrselassie remains the world record holder at 20,000m and the one-hour race.

    Read more »
  • Ethio Telecom to roll out new services

    Ethio Telecom to roll out new services

    Ethio Telecom’s Corporate Communications Head Abdurahim Ahmed stated the company is running tests on the new services. The 4G service is up and running in line with the recently completed network expansion project.

    The new service will allow Ethio Telecom to provide app services for mobile phones using its own servers ending its reliance on expensive foreign servers.

    In addition to the latest addition to Ethio Telecom’s conference call service, Ahmed said the company will offer video and voice mail services to its customers. The company will also introduce call reminder services for switched off phones.

    The new services employ the use of a modern network and smart phones, and the system will deactivate stolen or contraband mobile devices, Ahmed said.

    The services, depending on their nature, will commence from December 2014 to March 2015.

    Source: diretube

    Read more »
  • Court hands down prison sentence for an Eritrean trained terror convict

    Court hands down prison sentence for an Eritrean trained terror convict

    The Federal High Court 19th Bench handed Gashaw Shibabaw, a member of the outlawed Ethiopian People Patriotic Front (EPPF), a prison sentence of four years and eight months without probation.

    The convict received shelter, training and logistical assistance from the Eritrean regime under the auspices of the terrorist group EPPF, before crossing into Ethiopia with his full military gear to launch terrorist attacks in the country.

    In a statement the convict gave to police, he admitted to joining EPPF, a terrorist group supported by the notorious regime in Asmara and received military and political training in a place called Erena.

    Two years ago, the convict crossed into Ethiopia with a small insurgent group to mount terrorist attacks in the country and was involved in several skirmishes with local security personnel, before being arrested in May, 2013.

    The Federal Prosecutor brought terrorism charges against the individual and the convict admitted to joining an outlawed terrorist organization, to receiving military and political training in Eritrea, tirelessly working to carry out the group’s missions, illegally crossing into Ethiopia through River Tekeze with his full military gear, forcefully recruiting farmers to join the terrorist group, engaging Ethiopian security forces militarily and attempting to attack government institutions.

    As such, the court sentenced the convict to serve a prison term of four years and eight months without probation.

    Source: diretube

    Read more »